Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 4 – Sunday, June 6, 2010 Secret Cove to Egmont, Sunshine Coast

Terry and I woke to the sound of the raccoon checking out the deck of our boat in the wee hours of the night.

Up and into the pay showers ($1 for 4-minutes) above the terrific Secret Cove store, which included a government liquor store with a great selection of beer and wine.

Back to the boat, we watched in amazement as the fishermen docked right across from us began the process of hauling in crates and crates stuffed completely full of live crabs that they had caught and were storing in the waters below us on the dock.  They informed us that each container held 80 lbs of crab – times probably a dozen or more crates.  They were hauling them out for transport to Vancouver.
Had we have known there was a bounty of crab right beside us ….

Terry ended up purchasing a ‘real’ crab trap, and very smelly bait.  We’re determined to get a crab feast in yet.

We set out under motor for Agamemnon Narrows (between the Sechelt Peninsula and the eastern shoreline of Nelson Island), at the mouth of Jarvis Inlet. We planned on mooring at the small resort community of Egmont.

Once docked, Carol and Jeannie immediately sniffed out a fishing boat and made a purchase of some fresh spot prawns – 3 lbs. @ $10/lb.

With the girls vehemently swearing that, in prior years the men had dispatched the prawns by ‘deheading  them whilst they was still a wriggling’, Terry took on the horrific task.  This story was later denied by the men, who remembered performing the more humane method of boiling the little critters.  The prawns were set aside for later consumption. 

Egmont is home to the Sechelt Rapids, rated as one of the largest salt water rapids in the world.    Accessing the rapids requires a 2-1/2 mile hike through a trail located in the Skookumchuk Narrows Provincial Park.    Al and Jeannie located the trail head for us, and after researching the tide table, we determined that the best time to view the rapids would be in the early morning around 7-7:30 a.m.  This would require us to be up and on the hike around 6 a.m.

With the hockey game being televised that night, we decided to forgo cooking, and instead have our supper and watch the game at the ‘Back Eddy Pub and Marina’, which is home to the famous “Skookum Burger’.

We noticed a caravan of RVers pull in to the small RV park there.  It turned out to be a group of German tourists.  The German flag flying from our mast enticed a few of these tourists to stroll by our boat, and to engage Terry in a ‘stilted German/minimal English’ attempted conversation.

We ended the evening with a game of dice and early to bed in anticipation of our morning hike.

No comments: