Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 7 – Wednesday, June 9, 2010 Silva Bay, Galiano Island to Ganges Harbour, Salt Spring Island

The whole boat was woken up by an alarm that was first unidentifiable.  Terry had promised to set his alarm for 7:00 a.m. so us girls could shower early and so we could travel through the narrows while the tide was favorable.  However, the unidentifiable alarm went off at 4:30 a.m.  Terry and I scrambled around thinking it was his alarm.  Turns out that it was the boat radio which we had not turned off the night before.

One last check of the crab trap, only to yield a starfish.  We set off around 8:00 a.m.

Not long into the day’s travel we experienced our first water disaster.  The sink stopper was in place, and shortly after we left the dock, the cutting board must have fallen off the counter and hit the sink tap, turning it on.  Water filled the sink and over flowed for some time before Carol went down to the galley and discovered it.  All of the lower cupboards were filled with water, so each of them had to be emptied and the water drained out.  Fun.

The wind was finally decent, so we had our first real taste of sailing, with much tacking back and forth and the boat leaning sharply.  This was great fun but didn’t make for good standing, walking or keeping anything on the counters in the galley!

In addition to the wind, the weather was decidedly cooler.  We could actually see our breath early in our travels that day.  It was dark, dreary and we experienced some rain.

Our planned stop for the night was at the government docks in Ganges Harbour, Salt Spring Island.  This was the most inexpensive docking fees we had experienced on the trip – only $0.80/foot vs. $1.30/foot at Silva Bay.

Plans included watching the hockey game, so it was another night off for the galley wenches.  Ever the optimist, Terry again set the crab trap in hopes of catching an elusive crab.

We met friends of our crewmates, John & Monica, who were also spending the night at the dock in their sailboat.  Carol and I hit the stores, but as it was near closing time were only able to wander into a few.

John and Monica had us all over to their lovely Catalina sailboat for happy hour.  We then met at the Oyster Market Pub for supper and to watch the hockey game.  After the game, John took us on a hike through the “gut” of downtown Ganges to show us the route to the washroom/shower facilities for those of us staying on the government dock.  Very strange that we would have to traipse through the middle of downtown in our “jammies” in pursuit of a shower in the morning!

On the way back to the boat we were lured into a little restaurant by the dock, where we imbibed in après dinner drinks and listened to live music.  Then back to the boat for a last game of dice and bed.

No comments: